Friday 20 January 2012

Brain Food



I know I am always harping on about Russel being my best mate in the kitchen but I would really like to introduce you to Madge as well.  She is my beautiful Magimix, given to me for Christmas by my very generous Mother-in-law, Maureen.  I have to admit to you that my Cuisine 5200xl is quite one of the most beautiful and revered objects that I have ever owned.  So precious is she, that I barely dare even use her.  She just sits their on the shelf unit which I had Hugh make up for me, especially deep just for her, to show her off in all her glory.



My other latest gadget to come into my life, is my new ProQ smoker.  I have had a craving to take up home-smoking for years now, probably since I gave up the fags, and I can't wait to start smoking my own chickens and Mackerel.  It all looks a bit complicated so I am going to have to wait for the weather to warm up a little before my first attempt but I will be sure to let you know how I get on. 


In the meantime, here is a fantastically easy and delicious snack. Mackerel is such an under-used and often over-looked fish. Just the sort of fish we should be eating to support the Fish Fight Campaign and don't forget that Mackerel is rich in omega 3 oils, beneficial to overall health, helps the brain to function to its optimum ability as well as aids our immune systems and nervous systems by insulating them.   And I think you will agree that the recipe couldn't be easier, with the help of Madge.  And just imagine what you could achieve with your brain functioning at its optimum ability.  What are you waiting for?




Smoked Mackerel Pate


100g Smoked Mackerel
50g Butter
Good squeeze of lemon
Lots of freshly ground black pepper


Remove the skin from the smoked mackerel.  Put all the ingrdients into a food processor and whizz until smooth.  Check for seasoning.  Adding more lemon or pepper if necessary.  Spread on toast and eat.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am very jealous! I've been coveting a magimix and home smoker for years. Unfortunately my other half claims deafness due to increasing middle age ;-) Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my magimix too! I hope you have lots of fun with it. I find mine great for making homemade curry pastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love smoked mackerel pate. I also covet a Magimix and as the bowl on my food processer has finally split and is so old I can't replace it, I may just get one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mackerel! I did something similar with light creme fraiche and it is just gorgeous!
    I did use my smoking gun for cooked prawns and it was great! It added just a hint of smoke flavour to the dish!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thank you so much for any messages.